Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Prayer For The Gunfighter

I'll say a prayer
for the gunfighter
armed with a holster
filled with stones.
He rode into town
low and lazy
in the saddle of the sunset
with the changing wind
at his back.
I'll keep in my thoughts
those eyes that never meet mine,
always searching for a place to hide,
one step ahead
of the hanging party's gallop.
He looked into the chambered weirs
of the tourist fish ladder
and remarked to his sister
that the life of a salmon
is nothing but everlasting struggle.
He would know
having gunned down so many ghosts
only to have the sky in his head
burst with the faces of countless others
all taunting him to draw.
I hugged him goodbye
as he rode out
continuing his flight
along the outlaw's trail,
free and clear
from the voices of the mob
and the gallows pole.

4 comments:

Angel said...

I LOVE this one! By far my favorite of yours I've read in a long time.

It gave me an idea for a project, which I am so grateful for 'cause I thought I might have emptied my brain out too completely.

ScaughtFive said...

If it gave you an idea then you owe me a beer.

Angel said...

okay! I'm glad I didn't say it was a good idea 'cause then you'd have made it a whisky.

Unknown said...

I love both yer photos. And I agree with your comment on my blog there is plenty to love about eighties Church.