Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Once

Once

I was stretched out
on a lazy boy recliner
in my sister's clammy basement
looking in the rearview mirror
at all of my regret, shame
and hysterical foolishness
streaming out behind me 
in a steady white line of lies.
"If there's a justice in this world...
hey, how about that?"
the stereo commented.
"You're just dirt."
I saw all my worth summed up 
in an endless stupid stream of ribbon
uninterrupted in its pursuit
of someone running in fear
hunched up as if teeth were snapping
eternally at exposed haunches.
Once
I was driving up the interstate
hauling corroded alkaline batteries
to the hazardous waste smelter.
The muscles in my neck shook with exhaustion.
My fingers felt like dumb lead sinkers.
Cars flowed past me like platelets floating through an asphalt vein.
I watched that endless white line
running out behind the wing mirror.
I don't know how many miles passed
before I recognized my defeated face
staring straight into the loathsome magnets
of my tired eyes.
Once
I saw myself
moving along
wanting to stand still
going nowhere.


No comments: