Tuesday, May 13, 2008

One Hundred Flowers

Yestermorning
I find myself here
again
in the land of the sun.
My life's passenger cups my
ears and tongue kisses my
tardy brain with bell ringing
permanence and certainty.
The one marriage
built to last;
my ringing ears and I.
The radio sheep-bleats
come into focus.
Further down the rim
from this bed
one hundred flowers
were pressed into
the flat earth's
scrapbook.
The radio chalkboard scratches
out field notes
on a function of
friction and gravitation.
A neutral event
reaches out
to cradle loss
and tragedy.
"We were sitting in an office
and heard what sounded like a truck
passing
before the shaking started."
The radio transmits me
translated into english
straight to me
right between the eyes.
We live on the rim.
We shouldn't forget
the ground is floating.
I remember.
It came from the south
and sounded like a rusted
dumptruck dragging a chain
of inescapable dread.
It passed right through
the classroom.
Above and below.
Then the ground
broke it's promise
to be the floor,
to hold up our feet,
to be where we left it.
It wasn't there.
Gravity
helped us find it,
inches that seemed like miles
below where
it slept for so many years.
The walls can't keep their
promise either.
They vomit shelving
and the tambourine ring
of breaking things
accompanies
primate panic
manifested in God's toys
shrieking under
swaying light fixtures.
But stepping out of
the unsound
and into the open
underneath
impassionate clouds
I saw tidal energy
animate the ground
in waves of beautiful
rhythm
and I fell in love
with everything.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ScaughtFive said...

Thanks! There are good things all around you and in you. The nervous feeling will pass, I reckon.

Surfswarm said...

jolly fine writing again sir

ScaughtFive said...

Thanks. I don't know if I wanna live through that again! Is it wise to live at the foot of a volcano and right on top of a big fookin' crack in the crust of the earth's pie?

Surfswarm said...

blimey - we're commenting in synch...thats weird across a million timezones. i only took that pic half an hour ago.

i have no idea what 'series sychronous impressions involving Mr. Reed' means - having read the book and knowing a little something about his personality (i met herbie flowers once who hinted that he was a bit of a prick) i shouldn't imagine its pleasant.

i have read the wasp factory but not the crow road. i like some of his sci-fi stuff mostly. i can still recall the imagined settings and the imagined faces i had in mind when reading the wasp factory. most books fade after a while but that one remains strong i suppose ten, maybe fifteen years later. i guess that might be one mark of a good writer.

Jen Jewel Brown said...

Hi Scaught. It's me lost in space here, slow to get back. That really caught the feeling of a quake better than anything I've read - shit you can write man.

Sitting in Melbourne, Australia feeling ruefully lucky as the brain and heart detune from the pummeling of news on 100,00 suspected dead in poor Myanmar/Burma, then Sichuan province China. Feeling I can take no more 0 hard to take in - the enormity of such human losses turns from painful to numb. Sent a little money through Avaaz to the Burmese monks ... Would like to be in Seattle tonight; a raven sitting on a wire feeling notes singing through her feet in the darkish wind.

xJen