Monday, March 2, 2009

I Don't Sleep


There are spans of hours now
that I spend awake at night
crowded out of my own mind
by decades of trouble.
If I do manage to fall asleep
I find myself at the bottom
running right out of my shoes
from the hurt and the vengeful.
I see the log chains breaking
on timber cars crossing the trestle,
and log trucks smashed like soda cans
from steam frosted, school bus windows.
I hear the sobbing curses 
of the tired and emotional
ranting behind the bedroom curtains,
growing in volumes of complaint
and libraries of bitter invective.
The night becomes an impenetrable singularity of regret
localized in my aching head
and I don't sleep. 



5 comments:

redgrevillea said...

a very compelling piece, it suggests much. you're quite an interesting guy and it would be good to meet up and talk to you if the opportunity ever arises.

take care Scaughty, rb.

Angel said...

That sounds familiar. I'm forever chased by ghosts when I should be sleeping.

Your blog is lovely, I was a bit surprised to see how far back it went. Way to keep a secret.

Anyhoo, it's nice to see your writing being so appreciated. Speaking of which, may I borrow a few snippets of some of the things you sent me for my thesis catalog? I'll run them by you beforehand.

ScaughtFive said...

Thanks RnB. I'm alot more irritating in person, though.

Hi Angel. You can use what you need as long as I get to viddy it before you shout in in the halls of Hogwarts.

Angel said...

Of course! We're publishing it like a 50's paperback technical manual, with diagrams and models!

Joe said...

I don't find you to be irritating in person. I'm more irritated by your absence.