Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Is So Meta


I grew up wireless radio
in the age of television.
Little sister and I listened 
in our beds on summer vacation nights. 
"Does it sound like he's saying,
Lucy and The Garbage Guys?"
The a.m. dial on the clock radio
and the file o fax flap of the minute digits
was enough.
Hit parade 45s were lessons 
in correctly noting the passage of time.
"Listen sister, 
the beginning of California Girls
is the flight of stairs 
leading to the start of the song."

I grew old wireless in the digital age,
drinking whiskey in basement rooms
lit with glowing vacuum tubes
chasing after the sound of car radio drums.
The radio has always been with me.
It never turns me down.
And we just drive around 
and around and around. 

1 comment:

heather said...

We're digital immigrants.
This is good.