Monday, March 9, 2009

Reoccurring


Several species of reoccurring dreams
have been visited upon me.
I am receiving installments 
where I am on the Korean peninsula
riding a train and looking out the window at the countryside.
"Parts of Spain look like this," I think to myself.
One installment awhile back turned out not to be a train 
but a series of screens and projectors 
set up to make me think I was on a train.
I don't talk to anybody, just walk around.
In the last one I was standing in the DMZ.  
How did that happen?  
I think I'm waiting for instructions from somebody.  
Then I wake up.

There's this other dream I keep having 
where I drown in a tsunami.
It happens just outside of Nahcotta, Washington, 
on the Long Beach peninsula.
Another peninsula.  There you go.  
I see water just coming along up the road 
like it has somewhere on land to go.
It gradually pours in everywhere 
and starts washing everything in it's path away.
I'm swept off my feet and pulled under, 
all the while thinking, 
"Wow, so this is what it's like to die." 
Each time this dream happens, 
somebody different from my life is there.  
It could be anybody.  
There's no discernible reasoning 
behind who shows up.  
Friends, enemies, 
people I've seen and never spoke to, 
are all just as likely to show up. 
Whoever shows up 
is always consumed with panic and distress.  
I spend my last moments trying to be calm
so whoever is with me will stop being hysterical.  
While this is going on, 
I think about what kind of selfish bastard I am
to fake being at peace and calm 
with what's about to happen to us 
only so they won't upset me.
Then I wake up.

5 comments:

Angel said...

I'd tell you the secrets I've learned that allow me to sleep ok now, but since your insomnia and reoccurring dreams are inspiring such lovely work I won't.

Also- the cure has a curse, I've been known to wake up growling or banging on walls lately.

ScaughtFive said...

The cure has a curse? That does seem to be true for everything, riot?

Anonymous said...

"I've been known to wake up growling or banging on walls..."

Sounds like the side effects of Ambien! My grandma is sometimes found crawling around on all fours growling in the middle of the night when on that shite. Any connection?

ScaughtFive said...

Angel is a werewolf. That's how she gets to sleep. Tonight is a full moon however so that won't be the case. Ambien make lichen appear all over everything and your fingers will have eyes and like an egg it dribbles down your inside leg and everything that's wrong is quite okay.

Angel said...

Yes to werewolf, no to Ambien.

My Dad's all messed-up by that stuff. I use an herbal tincture that calms my racing thoughts without making me feel drugged. And all things electric turned off. And black-out curtains. And a lavender scented pillow. Sounds like a lot, but now I finally sleep, and even crazy sleep is better than no sleep.