Thursday, July 31, 2008

Stars on Your Shoulder

These mornings
bring me
the stars on your shoulder
and soft murmurs of protest
as we rise.
With you
the gentle things
come upon me,
funny things too.
You become batgirl,
catwoman.
What??
I smile
even right now.
Do you know
I watch you cross
Third Avenue
every morning
you get off
this bus?
I see you
studying your
rose red phone
for news
from
antebellum
ancestors
way back,
roped in
stands of kudzu,
drinking Pims
and dancing.
These mornings
bring me you
and the day
is just waiting
for the hour
when I see
your smile
coming down my street.

4 comments:

Dana said...

I now have a perma-smile glued to my face.

My co-workers think I'm insane.

You're the sweetest, most wonderful boy EVER!!!

ScaughtFive said...

You're not so bad yasel, Batwoman!

Anonymous said...

Very sweet stuff, very sweet indeed. The kinda of stuff that would have glued a smile to Neruda's face.

Such wonderful moments to be enjoyed and celebrated - that was Neruda's way. I think we should all adopt it.

Glad to see a few on this planet are! And poetry be a good way of sellin' more of them tickets, so good on ya, Mr. V.

ScaughtFive said...

Neruda? Like "Live Neruda Girls"? William Tell Duchamp's "Neruda Descending a Staircase"? It'd be Neruda me not to offer you tomato soup and bullets?? Oh Pabloby not.

Captain Soul