Monday, August 11, 2008

Chanting Your Return


Walk over here.
Not there.
Walk back.
Not there.

Every swipe
of the second hand
brushes back the dust
that settled in my life
when you flew away.

But its only a migration
pulling wild mountain time,
under snow cap melted sun
and your voice is a ghost
haunting the words of songs,
promising return.

Right now.
Not there.
Left then.
Not there.

In every empty direction
on the solid sidewalk street
the signals all sign caution
and time's traffic slows
under the flashing yellow sun.

But in each situation 
I would wake and find you gone
my sleep always remembers
the you that sneaks past
my thoughts
and smiles a mantra
chanting your return.

3 comments:

Dana said...

One Monday down. Two to go.

ScaughtFive said...

I'm your timekeeper, sitting in the officials box at that great Georgia Bulldogs game in the sky, girl.

Dana said...

Go Dawgs! Sic 'em!

Yeah, you'll learn all about that come September!