Friday, June 6, 2008

Argawarga / Get Smooth

Molly liked the couch.
Despite our attempts
to condition her to
appreciate the comforts
of the pillowy dog bed
we paid too much for,
she made it known
to us that a
final decision
had been made.
Non negotiable.
She preferred the couch.
I liked it too.
This was the post
from which our dog
would keep sentry
over the mundane affairs
of our suburban street.
Loitering cats would evoke
a high pitched whine
and unwelcome kneading of
the rose red couch cushions.
Darting squirrels touched
off panicked revolution,
clog dancing back and forth
over Bean and I,
barking and drowning out
baseball.
I think even now
my thoughts of squirrels
make her memory
explode into a fur flying
dervish spin.

Stop it Molly,
or you're off the couch.

Wanna treat?

That one worked better.
Nothing worked
when the occasional
barrel chested dog
was paraded
down the sidewalkless
street
in front of our
westward picture window.
Molly would go
completely argawarga
Rrrrrrgggg!
I remember the low growl that
came in to being
on rusty train tracks
from the hum of silence
to a Pratt and Whitney roar.
Her coat would porcupine
like she licked a Tesla Coil.
Get smooth Molly!
Get smooth girl.
Bean used to say.

I sometimes go argawarga;
my heart and brain sling
fists of needles at each other
until they can't be touched
like that porcupine
except this time
he's climbing
an electric fence.
I need to get smooth
or I'm gonna be
off the couch.

6 comments:

Surfswarm said...

art brut - yeah indeedy, there are a few bands like that over here at the moment but that playlist thing is a bit limited for choice

ScaughtFive said...

Don't I know it. Most of the stuff I like isnae onnit. No fookin' Thin White Rope. That's a crime.

Anonymous said...

You know, I do believe this is my all time favorite Scaughtfive post yet. Just thought I should say before heading back into oblivion.

ScaughtFive said...

Really?

nonizamboni said...

argawarga? you too?
Great poem, nice images and alliterations--slippery electric fence,and a dog that can read your mind!

Do you still have Molly?

ScaughtFive said...

Thanks NoniZ. Molly made her last trip to the vet about 7 months ago. She was 10 years old and lived on my ex wife's farm, munching contentedly on horse apples and flipping out about rabbits and squirrels until she took sick. I miss her. She was my best pal.