Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Morning Like Every Morning

Drawbridge span
the garbage stream currents
of the ship canal.
My eyes are littered
with reeking tears.
This is a dream.
A dream that returns
every morning
to yoke the dreamer
to the unleaded air.
A dream that returns
to shove its ashtray
tongue into
the ground glass throat
of my heart.
A morning like
every morning
of a dream that
shoves my unblinking
face into the landfill floor.
I migrate
down the pigeon shit sidewalk
past the malt liquor zombies
spitting grey mucous at the
yellow morning sun.
I migrate
to a Constantinople
of dead steel filing cabinets.
I migrate
so that I can do my part
in this dream
and help make
more rivers of garbage
to parade down
the storm drain
into my life's
dying canal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This makes me glad I'll be out on Camano...

As I was walking across campus today, I thought of how much I love Arkansas. It's very beautiful. They don't call it "The Natural State" for nothin'. That's for sure.

I'm going to miss it, terribly.

ScaughtFive said...

This is where everybody who lives in a capitalist society gets up to sell their time.

ScaughtFive said...

I don't love anywhere because I'm only watching it, not living in it.