Monday, September 8, 2008

Two Miles and Change


Maaaan,
It feels so good
to get out 
and run.
I don't 
take it for granted
having only
one and a half
knees.
A lot of work 
went into standing
and walking 
after that left
anterior cruciate
ligament 
went south.
It's taken 
nine months
of mind numbing 
exercises,
walking,
waiting
and healing
to get 
this far.
Got more 
to go.
But,
this feels
good.
Going over 
two miles 
at a nice clip
is my 
rock and roll.
It's my masterpiece.
The tightness 
in my quadriceps
is coming back.
I'm getting 
spring loaded
again.
The oxygenated high 
flows through me
as pulse,
footfall,
respiration
and thought
grab the 
running rhythm.
Sorrow,
you can watch
the soles of my 
shoes 
get small.
Paranoia,
stop and catch 
your wheezing breath.
I may not be Mercury,
or Ruffian,
or Hershel Walker,
but I'm running.
Damn! I'm running.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Running has never sounded so good.

ScaughtFive said...

Never felt so good either!

Dana said...

Hershel Walker. Yay! Go Dawgs!

(It's football season...I have a one track mind.)

Unknown said...

You can run faster than Tom Brady, Mo Morris, or Nate Burleson. Can you catch? I may have a job for you. Come see me in Kennydale...

Love, Holmy

ScaughtFive said...

I'll grab my cleats and head to the luxury yacht of football practice facilities, the Seahawks practice "Nest" in Renton.

Vince Young's Handgun