Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Concerning the Origins of The Last Rung




I talked to Mot

yesterday

about this and that.

He asked me

what do you mean by

The Last Rung?

Issat at the top of the ladder

or

the bottom?

T'was gonna be the title

of the next Doll Test thingie

but a consensus

still eludes.

Over here

it refers to my constant companion

who was there when I got up this morning

and was right there when I went to sleep.

High pitched

continuous

ringing

in my ears.

Actually,

it feels more like it's

in my head.

It ain't going away

so I decided to ask it what it wanted.

It doesn't talk

it just rings.

So I decided to speak on it's behalf.

It says

"Scaught, I want you to listen to me

and pay attention."

I do.

We get along a lot better that way.

Here's the deal;

I think it might be

the voice of God.

The Singularity

The Everything.

Why not?

It's with me all the time.

It gets loud when I'm stressed out

or not taking good care of meself.

It tells me when to put the guitar down

or if I've had too much coffee

or need sleep.

It even rings a certain

not altogether unpleasant way

when I am really happy.

Like yesterday afternoon.

So that's really

The Last Rung.

'Cause when it's check out time

the ringing in my ears will be

the last rung I ever hear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ScaughtFive said...

I like that quote. For some reason I think of Gogol but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. It's very sweet, you taking a peek over here while yer getting tolchocked with work!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.