Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Finished at the First Turn




I can't explain

why in the morning

my mouth chomps at the bit

n my brain is restless in the starting gate.

Luckily I've never wound up

a late scratch.

Nope.

I come out at the bell

and am away and racing

but

some mornings

it's like I got bumped

coming out of the gate

or

got pinned at the rail

by the others

making their muscled bid

from the outside post

to just behind the pace

at the first turn.

So I run

off the wrong lead

n my strides

play a rhythm

like a cocktail kit

thrown down a flight

of metal stairs

with all of the dishes

in the sink

following

me like bursts

of porcelain flak.

So I the jockey

sized like a jockey

seize the reins in tight

on I the horse

and we drift back.

Not this race.

"Finished at the first turn,"

is better than breaking down

on the backstretch.

The track will be there tomorrow

The track will be there tomorrow.

No comments: